What is Nose Work?
Nose Work is a fun sport for our companion dogs based on the law enforcement detection dog training. Three professional detection dog handlers modified the training used for their dogs and introduced it to their friends’ dogs. It was a hit and from those humble beginnings NACSW™ and the sport of K9 Nose Work® has grown. In 2009 there were 4 NACSW™ events. In 2016 there were 140 events and every year there are more trials and more dogs and their handlers learning the sport. Even if you have no intention in competing, it’s an enjoyable activity for you to share with your dog. And if you are interested in challenges, you can always test you and your dogs skills in trials.
Some of the great things about K9 Nose Work®
Any dog can play:
- Young or old
- High energy wild child to older couch potato
- Shy, fearful, overly exuberant or dog reactive
- Blind, deaf or 3-legged
Some of the benefits:
- No prior experience or training is required
- It’s great exercise, both mental and physical
- Engage your dog mentally and physically with games & puzzles
- Builds confidence
- Enhances the bond with your dog
- Allows us to peer into the dog’s world
- Learn new observational skills
- Can be done anywhere and doesn’t require a lot of equipment
- The dogs love it!